Bradbourne Church
Bradbourne Hall
Bradbourne Mill
Cox's Bradbourn
Medieval Villages
Census & Parish Registers


BRADBOURNE AND LEA HALL - Extract from "1876 Post Office Directory"

Bradbourne is a township and parish and village, 5.5 miles south-west from Wirksworth, 5 north-north- east from Ashbourne and 152 from London, in the Northern division of the county, hundred and county court district of Wirksworth, Ashbourne union rural deanery of Ashbourne, archdeaconry of Derby, Lichfield Diocese. The church of All Saints is an old building in the Early Norman style, consisting of chancel, nave and aisle, with square tower, and was repaired in 1846 at a cost of £300, in the tower is a very curious old Norman doorway. The register dates from the year 1720. The living is a vicarage, tithes commuted at £107 in the gift of the Duke of Devonshire, and held by the Rev. Edward Josiah Hayton MA of University College, Durham. The church of Bradbourne was given by Jeffery de Cauceis to the priory of Dunstable in the year 1205, and remained annexed to the priory until the Reformation, the churches of the parish (Bradbourne, Brassington, Tissington, Ballidon and Atlow) were served by a company of four monks, who were sent from Dunstable and resided at the rectory at Bradbourne, at the Reformation the church and glebe lands were given to Sir Walter de-Ferriers, who afterwards sold the lands and eventually the advowson of the rectory, the lands were purchased by an ancestor of Mr Buckston, the present possessor, about the end of the 17th century. Here is a free school, built by the late William Evans esq. and supported by Thomas William Evans esq. MP. Sir William Fitzherbert bart JP is lord of the Manor. The principal landowners are Sir William Fitzherbert bart JP, S H Chandos-Pole-Gell esq., Rev R G Buckston, and Mrs Alderson. Buxton’s charity of £1 yearly, payable out of the Shelbroad Close, in the parish of Brassington, and Gisbourne’s of £7.5s are for distribution. The soil is mixed, subsoil shale, clay and limestone. The land is chiefly kept in pasture for dairy produce. The area is 2834 acres, rateable value £4186, the population in 1871 of the township was 157 and of the parish 1185.

LEA HALL is a township; it pays church rates to Bradbourne. The area is 450 acres, rateable value £859 and the population in 1871 was 18.

Parish clerk: John Smith

Letters through Wirksworth via Brassington. The nearest money order office is Parwich.

Free School. John Smith, master; Mrs Sarah Smith, mistress.

Carrier to Wirksworth – James Twigg every Tuesday

Hayton Rev Edward Josiah MA Vicar

Wilkie Col. David JP The Hall


Ashton James, cowkeeper

Ashton Margaret (Mrs) cowkeeper

Ashton William, farmer

Barnsley Wm & Son, farmers, Aldwark

Beeston Matthew, farmer

Burton Mary (Mrs), farmer

Buxton Benjamin, farmer, Aldwark

Critchlow George, farmer

Critchlow Ralph, farmer

Dale George, farmer, Lea Hall

Fearn Josiah, shopkeeper

Gennis Sarah, (Mrs), farmer



Gerrard, John, farmer

Gerrard Joseph, miller

Hardy Joshua, farmer, Aldwark

Holmes Daniel, farmer

Matkin Joseph, farmer

Rowland James, shoe maker

Smith William farmer, Lea Hall

Stafford Zaccheus, farmer

Wagstaff Francis, farmer, Aldwark

Watson John, farmer

Webster Elizth (Mrs), farmer, Aldwark

Webster Francis, farmer

Whilock Francis, farmer

Wooddisse Ralph, farmer

Wright William, farmer




AA Book of Villages on Bradbourne:

"An 8th century Saxon cross gives distinction to this remote village on a hill overlooking the narrow valley of Havenhill Dale Brook, the cross depicting a scene from the crucifixion is one of the finest in Derbyshire. It stands in the churchyard of All Saints, whose square Norman tower, which dates from 1140, stands on a Saxon base.

All Saints contains many monuments to the local Buckston family. One commemorates Thomas Buckston, described as one of the oldest officers in HM service when he died in 1811. The south door of the church tower, with its moulded columns and wedge shaped arch stones, is one of the best Norman doorways to survive in any part of the country.

Near the churchyard stands Bradbourne Hall; a grey stone Elizabethan mansion, which was built on the site of a grange used by the monks of Dunstable Priory who once farmed the limestone hills of the district. During the middle ages the lords of the manor were the Bradbourne family, their seat Lea Hall, still exists 1 mile to the south-west of the village.


Home | Bradbourne | Bradbourne Church | Bradbourne Hall | Bradbourne Mill | Cox's Bradbourn | Medieval Villages | Census & Parish Registers

This site was last updated 03/30/09